Walk into a store right now and you’ll be hard pressed to find items such as hand sanitizer, disinfectant, anti-bacterial wipes, and even some common household supplies on the shelves. When watching the news and reading the many articles circulating out there, all suggest the best defense we have against contracting this virus is limiting our exposure in a variety of ways. Recommendations from public health services include:
- Wearing a mask when we are indoors with others outside our social "bubble" and when maintaining a social distance is not possible.
- Frequent hand washing for at least 20 seconds with soap and water
- Using 60% alcohol hand sanitizers or wipes after touching surfaces, door handles, etc.
- Avoiding touching our faces with our hands, and using a tissue to do so when necessary.
- Avoiding large events, public spaces or enclosed spaces where large numbers of people congregate.
We should not underestimate the power these simple, practical precautions we can all take to slow down and potentially contain the spread of a virus such as Covid-19, and reduce the risk of infecting ourselves and others. However, in all the media coverage and health advice surrounding this illness, far less attention has been given to one of our best defenses when it comes to staying and being healthy: our immune systems.
Let’s talk about some ways we can support our very own internal defense systems. Our immune systems consists of many integral parts, such as the lymphatic system, white blood cells, our spleen, and even our bone marrow. Our digestive tract is also an important part of our immune system, so our consumption of healthy foods and probiotics can have a direct impact on the health of our immune systems. If your body was a town, think of your immune system as it’s Sheriff. Our immune systems are made up of an army of “soldiers” such a phagocytes, neutrophils, white blood cells known as killer T-cells, and other vital components to keep the "bad guys" (aka.viruses and bacteria) out of our cells. Our immune systems don’t just kick in when we are fighting a virus, however. We are exposed to millions of germs daily and our immune system is the army that keeps us healthy. However, our systems are more vulnerable when we get run down or overburdened. When this happens, it can lead us to more susceptibility to viruses, bacteria and even severe or chronic illnesses.
In coronaviruses like Covid-19, the virus attaches to our cells and pushes inside the cell membrane, replicating itself and producing more virus cells within the body. If our immune system is not functioning to its full capacity, or is compromised by underlying health conditions or the aging process, the virus may have a greater effect on the body and lead to complications like pneumonia. The overall health of our immune system is greatly affected by numerous factors such as lifestyle, diet and even the amount of sleep we get. Some things we can do to help boost our immune systems are:
- Ensure you are getting enough and the right type of Vitamin C and Zinc. This powerful duo helps boost our immune systems synergistically while providing our body the extra support it needs to fight off viruses and bacteria. Ener-C provides 1,000 mg of vitamin C as mineral ascorbate, one of the most bioavailable forms of vitamin C. Also Ener-C has 5 mg of zinc, which is a therapeutic amount. During these times we are recommending 3-6 grams per day of Vitamin C or 3-6 packets of Ener-C.
- Eat a wholesome diet: Lots of green leafy vegetables and fruits loaded with nutrients, nutrients, and vitamins.
- Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Our bodies need restorative sleep for energy and proper immune function.
- Stay hydrated! Water helps flush out daily toxins produced in the process of our internal organs fight off bacteria and viruses. Ener-C contains electrolytes to help you stay hydrated.
- Reduce the amount of sugar we consume daily. Refined sugar suppresses our immune system for up to 6 hours upon ingestion and also contributes to inflammation. Keep in mind that Ener-C is low in sugar and uses only unrefined cane sugar. This small amount of sugar also helps your body absorb the electrolytes in our formula, which help rehydrate you.
Vitamin C has been shown and researched for its incredible antiviral and antibacterial powers and ability to increase neutrophils (white blood cells) within the body. Large doses of Vitamin C have been shown to kill off virus cells within the body before they enter our cells and replicate themselves. Vitamin C also plays a significant role in cell regeneration, which is essential when our body is trying to fight off viruses and bacteria. We need a full army of immune cells to keep our immune system healthy and robust. Many countries are now instructing their citizens to supplement with Vitamin C to protect against the COVID-19.
While practicing good hand hygiene and limiting our exposure may be our first and best protection against the spread of seasonal illnesses, taking good care of our immune system can help us be less susceptible to the viruses we inevitably come in contact with during flu season. Choosing the right foods, getting enough sleep and supplementing with the right vitamins and minerals are great ways to protect and support good health. When choosing the Vitamin C supplement that is right for you we hope you choose Ener-C and our mineral ascorbate formulation for bioavailability and enhanced activity.