When it comes to discussing men's health topics, we find that there are limited conversations and information out there. We see movements such as "Movember," which opens up the conversation about men's health and cancers such as prostate and colon cancer. However, we don't see a lot around the topics of stress, hormonal imbalances, and even depression.
With more open conversations regarding health topics such as stress, anxiety, and even depression, we are noticing that more men are speaking out about their health concerns and or issues surrounding.
When high levels of Cortisol (our stress hormone) are in our bodies, we often see imbalances in both men and women in our other hormones, such as our thyroid hormones and our sex hormones.
For women, we see imbalances in our progesterone and estrogen hormones, and in men, we see imbalances in testosterone, androgen, and even estrogen levels. Yes, that's right: Men also have estrogen in their bodies.
For men, however, when their hormones are out of balance, they can have symptoms that are overlooked as imbalances such as :
- loss of drive
- Poor sleeping habits
- Excess weight in the abdominal area
- loss of libido
- erectile dysfunction
- hair loss
- risk-taking behavior
- Fertility issues
- digestive disorders (GERD)
Men quite often aren't keen to discuss the above health concerns or symptoms openly, which is why we want to open the conversation around men's health even more.
When it comes to discussing men's health and what we can do to help with high levels of stress and the imbalances it can bring, a few lifestyle changes and supplements can go a long way.
Here are a few of our favorite men's health tips for balance and lower stress levels:
- Take a good multivitamin that contains zinc. Zinc is an essential mineral for men's health and sex hormones. Stress and digestive imbalances can lead to low levels of zinc in the body (hint: one packet of Ener-C contains 45% of the recommended daily intake).
- Take Saw Palmetto: A great hormonal support for healthy testosterone levels, healthy prostate, and even slows down hair loss.
- Take Korean Red Ginseng: Great for improving energy levels (reducing fatigue) and improves blood circulation and flow, helps with erectile dysfunction.
- Take Vitamin D3: It is excellent for a healthy balance of testosterone and estrogen levels in the body.Vitamin D3 also helps to improve moods during high stress.
- Exercise daily. Exercise naturally increases our serotonin levels and gives our body a natural rush of endorphins.
- Sleep: Aim to get at least 7-8 hours a night. Reduce screen times and try to get to bed and wake at consistent times throughout the week.
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms of male hormonal imbalance, we hope you will find these tips helpful.